Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Listening Well

One of my absolute favorite books in the bible is James. I recently came across the verse where James tells us that, "Everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry." This is always a convicting verse for those of us who love to talk. However, there is a reason we were given two ears and one mouth.

When you are listening to someone, are you also trying to formulate a clever or in-depth response? Do you look them in the eyes, but not really see them? I am so guilty of doing this sometimes. This means that we are not really grasping every part of what someone may be trying to tell us. We fail to hear what is behind the words - the pain or hurt that is coming from their hearts.

Sometimes the best gift we can give is just listening. Our responses will be more thoughtful that way, because we will understand what the person speaking was trying to convey to us. We will not just sympathize with them, but also empathize with them.

My encouragement to you is to memorize James 1:19 and every time you have a conversation pray on that verse. It may change your communication with others and reveal things to you that you never knew before.

Hope you have a lovely day! Much Love!

P.S. I know that I have recently had NO consistency in my posting schedule, but I really have no excuse! Too be honest I kind of like not having a schedule during the summer, just check on Facebook or Twitter! Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment