Tuesday, April 17, 2012

True Friendship

The bible gives us so many incredible examples of problems and experiences that we face everyday, which I appreciate so much! One of the wonderful examples that it contains is in the chapters of Samuel. The friendship between David and Jonathan is a guide for us. The two of them not only give you a good read, but insights into a quality friendship.

As I read through chapters thirteen through thirty one of Samuel, I found a list of qualities that we can possess to become better friends to those around us. Friendship is such a valuable thing in the body of Christ. Having someone to lean on and share your life with is what I believe God would want us to have.

1. Be a Giver. Meeting the needs of a friend is so important. A friendship can really grow when you choose to put someone's happiness before your own and genuinely care about what is valuable to them.

2. Be Loyal and Committed. Knowing that someone will always be true to you both in their presence and in their absence is vital to a true friendship. David and Jonathan made a covenant before the Lord about their friendship to remain true and loyal. (Proverbs 18:24)

3. Be Accepting. Remember that people are different and have many flaws. When you begin to judge or think differently of a friend, recall that Jonathan was a king's son; David was a poor shepherd's son.

4. Be an Encourager and Prayer Warrior. Our friends are suppose to be the people that bring us up. Remind your friends how special they are both to you and God. I have always loved the phrase "Prayer Warrior," because it is so comforting to know that someone is praying for you even when you don't ask. Do that for a friend, even if they don't know; God does. (Philemon 1:4)

5. Be a Forgiver. We are all sinners and we all make mistakes. When I think that someones mistake is too big to be forgiven or that they have had too many chances, I always remember how many times I have failed God and He has forgiven me. Do not let all of the wrongs overshadow all of the good things. (Ephesians 4:32)

Proverbs 17:17 says that, "A friend loves at all times." I do not know what kind of friendships you may have, but I encourage you to remind yourself to have these qualities in them. God has blessed me with an incredible group of best friends and my prayer is that He surrounds you with Christian friendships to help you grow.

I hope you are having a marvelous Tuesday! Much Love!!

P.S. I have joined BlogLovin! If you have an account, please follow the blog there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment